ally

SEOUL, South Korea North and South Korea on Wednesday moved closer to reopening a jointly run factory park, raising hopes for an improvement in ties between rivals that were trading war threats this spring.

The development, while not conclusive, indicated progress after six failed rounds of talks, the last of which ended in a scuffle.

The industrial complex in North Korea’s third-largest city, Kaesong, had been the last symbol of cooperation between the Koreas until Pyongyang halted operations during a torrent of threats earlier this year that included vows of nuclear strikes on Washington and Seoul.

The Koreas released a statement saying they will “actively” make efforts to help South Korean companies repair facilities and resume operations at Kaesong.

Chief South Korean delegate Kim Kiwoong indicated cautious optimism, saying the joint statement was “not the end but a beginning” and that it was difficult to say exactly when the park might be reopened, according to South Korean media pool reports.

In an unexpected twist, 카지노사이트 both countries said they want to attract foreign companies to the park and would allow it to have Internet and mobile phone connections if operations resume.

Kaesong’s lack of Internet and mobile connections frustrated South Korean factory managers who relied on landline phones and faxes to communicate with the South. North Korea has a domestic mobile phone service and Intranet which are walled off from global networks.

North Korea has been trying to attract foreign investors in other free economic zones but no major progress has been reported. It is uncertain whether any foreign companies would be willing to brave Kaesong. The park’s reputation has been tainted by the four-month shutdown, which caused losses for the South Korean companies with assembly lines at the complex.

The industrial park combined South Korean initiative, capital and technology with cheap North Korean labor. It was also a rare source of hard currency for North Korea, though the impoverished country chafed at suggestions that it needed the money Kaesong generated.

The statement Wednesday said North and South Korea agreed to soon launch a joint committee meant to carry out their agreement.

Ties have improved somewhat in recent weeks, but Wednesday’s talks come ahead of military drills next week between South Korea and its U.S. ally. Pyongyang used a previous routine drill between the allies, along with U.N. sanctions over its February nuclear test, to justify its outburst of threatening rhetoric in March and April.

The decade-old industrial park had survived previous periods of tension, including attacks blamed on Pyongyang that killed 50 South Koreans in 2010, and the shutdown of other big cooperation projects.

By the end of 2012, South Korean companies had produced a total $2 billion worth of goods during the previous eight years.

North Korea is estimated to have received $80 million in workers’ salaries in 2012, an average of $127 a month per person, paid in U.S. dollars, according to the Unification Ministry in Seoul.

For North Korea, the park’s resumption is important because the country wants to draw outside investment to revive the economy, said Chang Yong Seok, a senior researcher at Seoul National University’s Institute for Peace and Unification Studies.

Pyongyang has to take care of its 53,000 Kaesong workers, and wants a return of the hard currency Kaesong provided, Chang said.

Related Posts

President Bashar Assad’s government initially asked the U.N. to investigate an alleged chemical weapons attack on March 19 on the village of Khan al Assal outside the embattled city of Aleppo, which was captured by the rebels last month. The government and rebels blame each other for the purported attack which killed at least 30 people. Britain, France and the U.S. followed with allegations of chemical weapons use in Homs, Damascus and elsewhere. U.N. Mideast envoy Robert Serry told the Security Council last month that the U.N. has received 13 reports of alleged chemical weapons use in Syria. On June 13, the United States said it had conclusive evidence that Assad’s regime had used chemical weapons against opposition forces. That crossed what President Barack Obama had called a “red line” and prompted a U.S. decision to send arms and ammunition to the opposition. But agreement on a U.N. investigation was delayed for months because Syria wanted to limit the probe to Khan al-Assal and the secretary-general, backed by the U.S., Britain and France, insisted on a broader investigation. The U.N. gave approval for the probe on July 31 following an “understanding” reached with Syria during a visit to Damascus by U.N. disarmament chief Angela Kane and Swedish expert Ake Sellstrom, the team’s leader, that three sites where chemical weapons were allegedly used would be investigated. One site is Khan al Assal, but the locations of the other two incidents are being kept secret for safety reasons. For the past two weeks, the Syrian government and the U.N. have been trying to agree on arrangements for the investigation. The U.N. team completed preparations for the visit over the weekend in The Hague, Netherlands, but its departure was delayed because of differences over details of the investigation. Following Wednesday’s agreement, U.N. deputy spokesman Eduardo del Buey said “the departure of the team is now imminent,” but he provided no specific date. Under the agreement with Syria, the team will remain in the country for “up to 14 days, extendable upon mutual consent” to “conduct activities, “including on-site visits,” del Buey said. He said U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is pleased that agreement has been reached “to ensure the proper, safe and efficient conduct of the mission.” The secretary-general believes an effective investigation of allegations can serve as “an important deterrent” against the use of chemical weapons, del Buey said. “Our goal remains a fully independent and impartial inquiry,” he said. Del Buey said “the overwhelming support of the international community for this investigation makes clear that the use of chemical weapons by any side under any circumstances would constitute an outrageous crime.” The investigation team includes about 10 experts from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, which is based in The Hague, and the World Health Organization, based in Geneva. Del Buey said Ban expressed appreciation to the Syrian government for its cooperation and to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons for its support of the mission.
The oh-so-cool “Peter and the Starcatcher” and the naughty “Venus in Fur” are inventive and bold, but not broad enough to tickle everyone
It’s a tragedy,” Antony told reporters in New Delhi before leaving for Mumbai to assess the situation

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *