“He did not commit the offense of prostitution

부산출장안마PARIS Former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn will have to defend himself in a French court on charges of aggravated pimping despite recommendations by prosecutors that the charges be dropped.

Judges investigating the case in the northern city of Lille decided on Friday to go ahead with charges of aggravated pimping in a group.

The case revolves around an alleged hotel prostitution ring and hinges on whether Strauss-Kahn knew he was partying with prostitutes and whose money was used to pay them. His lawyers have said Strauss-Kahn had attended “libertine” gatherings but did not know that some women there were paid.

A total of 14 people, including Strauss-Kahn, are to be charged with aggravated pimping in a group. A more serious charge of organized pimping was dropped earlier.

Prosecutors in June had asked for the case against Strauss-Kahn to be dropped on the grounds of lack of evidence, though they agreed the others should be charged.

The case in Lille put the 64-year-old Strauss-Kahn back in the spotlight after his arrest in New York in May 2011 following allegations by a Manhattan hotel maid that he had sexually assaulted her.

He resigned as IMF chief before those charges were dropped. The New York case also cut short any political aspirations at home for the former French economy minister. He had been widely seen as a presidential contender.

Frederique Baulieu, 부산출장안마 one of Strauss-Kahn’s lawyers, said her client committed no infraction in the Lille case.

“He did not commit the offense of prostitution. He neither aided nor assisted prostitution,” Baulieu said by telephone. She claimed the judges based their decision on “morals” not on law.

“In very calm and serene fashion, we await a public debate that will show the absurdity of this decision,” Baulieu said.

In June, the Lille prosecutor’s office said it had followed a “deep and meticulous analysis” of the 33 files that form the case before concluding there was insufficient evidence against Strauss-Kahn.

Related Posts

More than 80,000 people are living in temporary shelters or otherwise displaced, he said
“It will depend on whether any UN member state goes to the secretary-general and says we should look at this event,” Sellstrom told TT from Damascus. “We are in place.” Just hours after Sellstrom made the comments, French President Francois Hollande said in a regular cabinet meeting that the latest allegations of a chemical attack “require verification and confirmation,” according to government spokeswoman Najat Vallaud-Belkacem. Vallaud-Belkacem said Holland would ask the UN team to go to the site “to shed full light” on the allegations. CBS News correspondent Holly Williams reported, however, that it wasn’t immediately clear whether the Syrian government would grant the UN team access to the Ghouta suburbs to gather evidence. Ahmed al-Jarba, the head of the Western-backed Syrian National Coalition, and the London-based Syrian Observatory opposition group also called on the U.N. team to investigate the incidents. Hamish de Bretton-Gordon, a British expert in chemical and biological weapons, told CBSNews.com on Wednesday that, based on the reported death tolls and the available video evidence — which he stressed he could not authenticate independently — it appeared that a weapon of mass destruction like Sarin gas was probably involved. In many of the smaller-scale attacks across Syria, de Bretton-Gordon has said small quantities of Sarin, or far weaker organophosphate compounds, could have been to blame, and it is feasible that poorly-trained rebel forces could have been behind such attacks. “Sarin is 4,000-times more powerful than organophosphates,” he explained, suggesting that if the toxic gas was used Wednesday on a large scale, it was “very unlikely” that opposition fighters could have been behind the attacks, as they “just don’t have access to that level of chemical weapons and the delivery means” needed to disperse them so widely. Damascus, the sprawling ancient capital city and President Assad’s base of power since the conflict erupted, had come under increasing pressure from rebel forces, which had tried to advance on the city center primarily from the east. Baghdadi reported that, according to eyewitnesses, the fierce military offensive began around 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday. One man said he counted about seven air raids and dozens of shelling targeting the district of Jobar, less than one mile from a main square in the capital. On Sunday, the 20-member U.N. chemical weapons team, led by Sellstrom, arrived in Damascus to investigate three sites where chemical weapons attacks allegedly occurred. The sites they were meant to probe are the village of Khan al-Assal just west of the embattled northern city of Aleppo and two other locations, which are being kept secret for security reasons. The Syrian government has always denied claims by the opposition of chemical weapons use, saying rebels fighting to overthrow Assad’s government have used such weapons.
Funeral arrangements are pending

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *