A reporter for Naples daily Il Mattino, Giuseppe Crimaldi, told Sky TG24 TV from the scene that some witnesses told him the bus had been going at a “normal” speed on the downhill stretch of the highway when it suddenly veered and started hitting cars

Updated 8:47 p.m. ET

ROME

An Italian tour bus plowed through several cars before it crushed through a sidewall of a highway bridge and plunged into a ravine, killing at least 38 people, authorities said Monday.

Rescuers wielding electric saws cut through the twisted wreckage of the bus looking for survivors overnight, and state radio quoted a local police chief as saying the bus driver was among the dead.

The bus lost control near the town of Monteforte Irpino in Irpinia, a largely agricultural area about 40 miles inland from Naples and about 160 miles south of Rome, hitting several cars before plunging some 100 feet off a viaduct on Sunday night. Traffic on the stretch was slowed due to road work, officials said.

It was not immediately clear why the bus driver lost control of the vehicle, but prosecutors were investigating technical problems and had ordered an autopsy on the driver.

A reporter for Naples daily Il Mattino, Giuseppe Crimaldi, told Sky TG24 TV from the scene that some witnesses told him the bus had been going at a “normal” speed on the downhill stretch of the highway when it suddenly veered and started hitting cars. Some witnesses thought they heard a noise as if the bus had blown a tire.

The bus was carrying a group of weekend holidaymakers from the Naples. The group had arrived from small towns near Naples at a hotel at a the thermal spa on Friday afternoon, and had spent the weekend visiting the spa and an early home of Padre Pio, a late mystic monk popular among Catholics, Michele Montagna, the manager of the hotel told Sky TG24.

Relatives visited a make-shift morgue in a middle school to identify the dead on Monday. The bus, meanwhile, was towed from the site to be examined for possible malfunctions.

Firefighters extracted 37 bodies from the wreckage. Most of the dead were found inside the mangled bus, which lay on its side , while a few of the victims were pulled out from underneath the wreckage, state radio and the Italian news agency ANSA reported. One died at the hospital.

At least 10 people, including five children, remained hospitalized on Monday.

Occupants of cars which were hit by the bus stood on the highway near their vehicles. One car’s rear was completely crumpled, 부산출장안마 while another was smashed on its side. It was not immediately known if anyone in those cars had been injured.

Related Posts

The game is available for free on Android smartphones, and an iPhone version is expected to be released soon, according to Smeets.
TIMELINE: “Dancing” Through the Seasons “Some viewers reported experiencing difficulties registering their votes for the Dancing with the Stars finale, which affected each finalist equally,” show producers said in a statement. “The issue was promptly addressed” and voting times were not extended. The finalists performed their last dances for viewer votes on Monday’s episode, which count for half of their overall scores toward the title. The judges’ scores for each competitor’s two dances Tuesday will be added to their overall Monday totals. The dancer with the highest combined total of judges’ points and viewer votes will become the new “Dancing” champ. Grey comes into Tuesday’s season finale in first place. The 50-year-old actress and her professional partner, Derek Hough, earned a perfect score of 60 for their two dances on Monday’s show. Massey finished in second place with 56 points, while Palin landed in third with 52 points. “Dancing” executive producer Conrad Green said it would be fair game if Palin’s voters send her to victory Tuesday. Palin said on Monday’s episode that “there’s lots of haters out there that are waiting for me to fail,” but added after the show that she feels she and Ballas deserve to win. “We’ve been working our butts off,” the 20-year-old single mom said. Grey said she won’t consider the mirrorball trophy until Tuesday’s dances are done. “I think it’s bad juju,” she said after earning a perfect score Monday. Massey and his partner, Lacey Schwimmer, said they’ve been having so much fun dancing together, they can hardly believe they actually have a chance at the title. “We have a one-in-three shot,” Schwimmer said. “It’ll be crazy if we win,” Massey said. “I’ll be excited. I’ll probably do the worm again.” (The 19-year-old Disney Channel star did the retro dance move during his freestyle routine on Monday’s show.)
But they conceded that an agreement dating back to the late 1960s gave the U.S., Britain and France the right to request German authorities to conduct surveillance operations within Germany to protect their troops stationed there

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *