It’s the third time in two months jewel thieves have hit Cannes, reports CBS News correspondent Charlie D’Agata

PARIS A state prosecutor says the organizer of a diamond exhibit and sale has more than doubled the estimated value of diamond jewelry stolen in a brazen weekend heist at a luxury hotel on the French Riviera — to some $136 million.

The elevated value of the jewels taken has caused some in the French press to dub it the “Heist of the Century.”

Police had previously said Sunday’s theft at the Carlton Intercontinental Hotel had netted euro40 million ($53 million) in loot — even at that level, one of biggest jewelry heists in recent years.

Assistant prosecutor Philippe Vique said the Dubai-based organizer of the diamond show has raised the value based on a more complete inventory.

Vique said authorities are looking for a lone suspect who broke in through French doors at the hotel that opens out onto Cannes’ famed Croisette. The suspect then fled on foot.

Officials say the robber’s face was covered, and that the thief made off with whole bags of rings, watches and earrings inlaid with precious stones, according to Le Monde newspaper. The robber was allegedly armed with an automatic pistol.

The jewels were stolen from the company founded by an Israeli diamond mogul Lev Leviev, whom the New York Times described in 2007 as “probably Israel’s richest man” and “the man who broke the De Beers international diamond cartel.” He allegedly has business interests spanning multiple industries and continents.

Police and investigators have so far disclosed no leads or motives in the crime.

The Carlton, on the glittering French Riviera was the setting of Hitchcock’s “To Catch a Thief,” where Grace Kelly’s charms lured Carey Grant’s cat burglar.

It’s the third time in two months jewel thieves have hit Cannes, reports CBS News correspondent Charlie D’Agata. The last two robberies were the work of sophisticated gangs, said French journalist Daniel Pageon.

“I’m not talking about somebody knocking on the head of an old lady to pinch her purse. There they are very often organized gangs,” Pageon told CBS News. “They plan it like a military operation. It’s a film scenario so, of course it happens in Cannes.”

The robbery coincides with a three-days-ago jail break in Switzerland 부산출장안마 by two alleged members of the notorious “Pink Panther” jewel thief gang. The Eastern Europe network is blamed for high-profile jewelry robberies worth hundreds of millions of dollars. They are so far not blamed for the most recent robbery.

Related Posts

canceled his passport, stranding him
The Department of Justice is keeping the charges against the suspect, Libyan militia leader Ahmed Abu Khattalah, under seal, but CBS News’ Margaret Brennan reports that the suspect has been living openly in Benghazi since the September, 2012 attack. Khattalah admitted to CBS News last fall that he was at the scene on the night of the attack, but denied a personal role in the violence. “I went to help four men who were trapped inside,” Boukhatala told CBS News correspondent Elizabeth Palmer. When he arrived, though, the men were gone, according to the Islamist militant. At the time, Libya’s government had told CBS News that Boukhatala was a “prime suspect” in the attack on the U.S. offices, but asked about that accusation by Palmer, the militant smiled and said, “if that’s what the President is saying, then he should come to my house and arrest me.” But that’s something Libya’s government security forces wouldn’t have dared to do. Khattalah is the chief of a ferocious militia in Benghazi, the Abu Ubaidah Brigades – a sub-group of the larger Ansar al Shariah militia. Palmer reported that the militia — armed to the teeth with weapons looted from deposed dictator Muammar Qaddafi’s arsenals — acted at the time of the attack as both military and police in parts of Benghazi. The government’s security forces, the official police and army, are simply too weak to push them out. Khattalah told Palmer that the attackers were merely ordinary people armed with rocket-propelled grenades and added that he expected a fight should the government move to arrest Islamist militia members suspected in the attack. It remains unclear whether the U.S. has now asked Libyan authorities to arrest Khattalah or whether the FBI has identified the other suspects, pictured alongside Khattalah in a series of photos taken from the security cameras at the consulate. The other men are thought to be members of Khattalah’s militia. Neither the militia nor Khattalah have been specifically identified by the U.S. government as terrorists, according to Brennan. “The investigation is ongoing. It has been and remains, a top priority,” Justice Department spokesman Andrew C. Ames said Tuesday. However, the FBI has not made any arrests in the 11 months since the attack and the Obama Administration faces mounting pressure to take action. Last week, a small but vocal group of eight Republican congressmen sent a message to the newly-confirmed FBI Director James Comey, pressing him to take action. In the letter, initiated by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-U.T.), the legislators called the administration’s investigation thus far “unacceptable” and called for an “aggressive” investigation.”
Letta appealed for calm, issuing a statement saying that `’for the good of the country it is necessary now that a climate of serenity prevails.” One of Berlusconi’s top lawmakers pledged to stay true to their leader’s promise to keep the party in the government

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *